Prosus N.V., or Prosus, is the international internet assets division of Naspers. The global investment group is the largest consumer internet company in Europe, and among the largest technology investors in the world, operating across a variety of platforms and geographies.
Prosus acquired a portfolio of international internet firms, including fintech, and food delivery systems. Products and service of its businesses and investments are used by more than 1.5 billion people in 89 markets.
On 11 September 2019, Prosus’s ordinary shares were listed on Euronext Amsterdam and, as a secondary inward-listing, on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. Subsequent to its IPO, Prosus is majority owned by Naspers and is the largest consumer internet company in Europe by asset value. Shares in the company were reported to have “soared on debut.”
The group’s expansion into internet platforms began in the 1990s, spanning online consumer services, including:
- E-commerce – including its subsidiary, OLX (100%), Takealot.com (96%)
- Fintech – including its subsidiary, PayU (98.8%)
- Food delivery – including its subsidiary and associates, iFood (54.8%), Delivery Hero (22.3%) and Swiggy (38.8%)
- Etail – including its subsidiary, eMag (80.1%)
- Travel – including its associate, Ctrip (6%)
It is also the largest shareholder of social Internet platforms:
- Tencent (31%)
- ru Group (28% in 2019)
- ^Inc, Midwest Communications. “Tech investor Prosus reports full-year profit up 6.7%”. WKZO. Retrieved 2020-06-29.
- ^“Prosus has R120bn war chest to keep on growing”. BusinessLIVE. Retrieved 2020-06-29.
- ^ Jump up to:ab c d “Prosus, Prospectus, 26 August 2019” (PDF).
- ^ Jump up to:ab Wexler, Alexandra (September 11, 2019). “Introducing Prosus: A Rare European Mega-Tech Stock” – via www.wsj.com.
- ^Schulze, Elizabeth (September 11, 2019). “A $100 billion tech company you’ve never heard of just listed in Europe”. CNBC.
- ^“Naspers Announces Revised Timetable for the Listing of Prosus on Euronext Amsterdam and JSE”.
- ^“Subscribe to read | Financial Times”. www.ft.com.
- ^Wilmot, Stephen (June 24, 2019). “One of the Best Investments in History Becomes a Headache” – via www.wsj.com.
- ^“Investor relations – Mail.ru Group”. corp.mail.ru.
Ofer Abarbanel is a 25 year securities lending broker and expert who has advised many Israeli regulators, among them the Israel Tax Authority, with respect to stock loans, repurchase agreements and credit derivatives. Founder of TBIL.co STATX Fund.