Juniper Advisory is a specialized investment bank based in Chicago that focusses exclusively on non-profit hospital mergers and acquisitions. Founded by veteran investment bankers James Burgdorfer and David Gordon, the firm provides strategic financial advice relating to business combination transactions and other corporate finance matters.
Over the last 25 years, Juniper has advised on many of the larger, more innovative mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, partnerships, joint ventures, and lease arrangements in the industry. The firm remains intentionally small, specialized, and independent. It is particularly active in advising government-owned, 501(c)(3), faith-based, and academic medical centers on structural ownership alternatives.
Members of Juniper came from several larger Wall Street firms, including: Citigroup, J.P. Morgan, Piper Jaffray, Morgan Stanley, A.G. Becker, Nuveen, Rothschild & Co, William Blair, and others. Several modelled their academic educations around healthcare financeand economics at the University of Chicago, Northwestern University MBA, Yale University, Princeton University, University of Michigan, Notre Dame University, and Vanderbilt University.
Recent advisory assignments include transactions with: The Cleveland Clinic, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, The University of Chicago Medical Center, CHRISTUS Health, Adventist Health, Jefferson Health, Hospital Corporation of America (during ownership under Bain Capital, KKR, and Merrill Lynch), Duke University Health System and LifePoint Health, UnityPoint Health, Spectrum Health, Sentara Healthcare, Dignity Health, McLaren Health Care Corporation, Ardent Health Services (a portfolio company of Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, Equity International, and Ventas, Inc., Vanguard Health Systems, a portfolio company of The Blackstone Group now part of Tenet Healthcare, Community Health Systems, RCCH Health (a portfolio company of Warburg Pincus, Apollo Global Management and Temple University Hospital.
The principals are active writers and speakers in the non-profit healthcare industry, and are frequently cited by The Wall Street Journal, The Bond Buyer, Modern Healthcare,Trustee, American Health Lawyers Association, Chicago Tribune WGN-TV, and Healthcare Financial Management Association.
Recent topics include fair market value considerations in consolidation (business) transactions, fiduciary governance responsibilities in change of control transactions. The team has authored a number of research articles, including stand-alone whitepapers for the Chicago Council on Global Affairs
Key team members
- James Burgdorfer: Principal
- David Gordan: Principal
- Barry Sagraves: Managing Director
- Rex Burgdorfer : Vice President
- Jordan Shields: Vice President
- ^“Bloomberg Businessweek”. Bloomberg Businessweek.
- ^“Duke Alumni News” (PDF).
- ^“Temple University Health System Hires Juniper Advisory”.
- ^“Wall Street Journal – Cash Poor Hospitals”.
- ^“Bond Buyer – Membership Substitution”.
- ^“Modern Healthcare – The leader in healthcare business news, research & data”.
- ^“Public Hospital Partnerships”.
- ^“Health System Integration”.
- ^“Parallel Realignment”.
- ^“Chicago Tribune”. NorthShore University HealthSystem and Advocate Lutheran General Hospital.
- ^“Northwestern Cadence Merger”. Central DuPage Hospital.
- ^“Advocate NorthShore Merger”. WGN-TV.
- ^“Public Hospital Partnerships”.
- ^“The Non-Profit Board’s Duties When Considering a Change of Control” (PDF). McDermott Will & Emery.
- ^“The Chicago Council on Global Affairs”.
- ^“James Burgdorfer, Principal at Juniper Advisory”.
- ^“Juniper Advisory – David Gordon”.
- ^“Juniper Advisory – Barry Sagraves”.
- ^“Rex Burgdorfer, V.P. at Juniper Advisory”.
- ^“Juniper Advisory – Jordan Shields”.